RARE HERRESHOFF 53 KETCH
NEW LISTING! NOW MORE PHOTOS AND A LIST OF RECENT IMPTOVEMENTS
Ming is a Powerful center board ketch that was custom built for her
original owners in 1979 by D. Cheng Boat Builders LTD. in Hong Kong.
She is reported to be from the board of Halsey C. Herreshoff and is true to his roots
in the form of his Essex Sloops with a clipper bow.
- Price: $128,000
- Model Year:1977
- Boat Ref: 6253004
- Boat Name: Ming
- Boat Class: Ketch
- Location: Anacortes WA, United States
- Broker: Louis Nelson
- Broker Email: email@example.com
- Broker Phone: (877) 215-0559
- Broker Fax: (206) 301-9291
Additional Contact Information
Please contact central listing agent Louis Nelson at 503-319-4738 cell & text
- Builder: D. Cheng Ltd. Hong Kong
- Designer: Halsey C. Herreshoff
- Construction: GRP
- Length: 50 ft
- Beam: 14' 0"
- Displacement: 45000 lbs
- Min Draft:6' 0"
- Max Draft:12' 0"
- Number of Engines: 1
- Engine(s) Make: Perkins Sabre
- Engine Model: M-135
- Engine Year: 2002
- Engine Fuel: Diesel
- Engine Propeller Type: 3 Blade, Bronze
- Engine Hours: 300
- Fuel: 2 x 115 gallons
- Water: 2 x 200 gallons
- Holding: 1 x 30 gallons
After the chain locker is a forward cabin with a raised bunk to port and two stacked bunks
to starboard. Then aft through a door to the main cabin. The main cabin has a U shaped
settee to port then to starboard a settee with lockers outboard. The galley is aft to port with
refrigerator with access both top and front. The stove is outboard and the sinks forward.
Across to starboard is an enclosed head then the passageway aft to the aft cabin.
Outboard in the passageway are lockers over one of the fuel tanks. Inboard are hatches to
engine and machinery spaces beneath the cockpit sole.
The aft cabin has center bed with lots of storage plus enclosed head and shower forward
Is well arranged in a U shape. There are two deep dry storage lockers and a large
refrigerator with both top and front access cooled by an engine driven compressor.
The stove is three burner with oven and of course is gimbaled. There is also dedicated
spirit and glassware storage.
Propulsion is a Perkins Sabre with a reported 300 hrs since installed new in
2002. The engine is naturally aspirated 6cyl,12v start, fresh water cooled through a
heat exchanger with wet exhaust and waterlift muffler.
Marine gear is a Borg Warner 2.10 to 1 ratio which is coupled to an 13/4 stainless
shaft. The propeller is an estimated 24" diameter, right hand, 14" pitch three bladed
12V AC is controlled by a Marinco 30-amp shore power inlet. Batteries are boxed and
covered. House batteries are two 12V 8D's and the dedicated starting battery is a 12V
4D. They are all charged by the engine alternator (new) or a Promatic 50-3 battery
charger. Ground tackle is a Rocna plow on 300' of 3/8's chain deployed by a Neco 12V
Winches are Barlows, #32 self tailing primaries,#20 mizzen sheet, three #24's for main
sheet and halyard, #16 mizzen staysle halyard, #5 main wire halyard, and #2 wire mizzen
Improvments made since 2013
1. Bottom and Center board completely sanded down and repainted with two coats of bottom paint by
North harbor Diesel 2014
2. New center board cable replaced.
3. All thru hull fittings cleaned and greased 2014
4. Main Mast pulled and all running rigging, dolphin striker and turnbuckles replaced by Anacortes Yacht
5. New Harken MKIV furling installed by Anacortes Yacht Riggers 2015
6. Strong track on main mast installed Anacortes Yacht Riggers 2015
7. Main Sail rebuilt with full battens and lazy jack system installed 2015
8. New Mizzen Sail 2015 Rolly Tasker sail loft
9. Deck refastened 2012 North Harbor Diesel
10. New 65 pound Rocna Plow Anchor
11. New 300’ 3/8” hi test chain Fisheries supply
12. New Anchor Windless Lofrans / Tigres 2013
13. Two new AGM Batt’s and Blu Seas control switching and new cable’s to Engine room from windless
14. New hot water heater
15. New led lights thru out the boat 2016
16. New Frigoboat Refrigeration air cooled 2016
17. New 12v 110v inverter Victorn Energy
18. New engine room lights
19. New salt water galley pump and faucet
20. New fresh water Galley pump
Any of owner's personal items left onboard, including any items not listed in the specifications, are not included with the sale of the vessel.
- Wind speed and direction
- Navigation center
- Battened mainsail
- Furling genoa
- Electric bilge pump
- Manual bilge pump
- Battery charger
- Hot water
- Marine head
- Shore power inlet
- Teak cockpit
- Teak sidedecks
- Solar panel
- Cockpit cushions
- Cockpit table
- Swimming ladder
- Mainsail cover
- Cockpit cover
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.